Stroke care

Our Homecare Services

Stroke care at Next Level Homecare Services

Stroke never leaves its victims the same. There will always be a need to adjust physically and emotionally to get their lives back together. Getting the necessary treatment for the stroke patient has to be immediate and highly qualitative.

However, there is no laid down rule that the treatment must happen in an unfamiliar environment. Treating your patient at home or a place where he/she can feel comfortable and share the love with loved ones can hasten their recovery. The loved ones too will find relief and have a better quality of life amid the crisis.

What is a stroke?

Stroke is a condition that happens when blood is not supplied to one side of the brain. It commonly occurs when there is a blood clot which blocks the supply of blood, or a blood vessel bursts in the brain. In the UK, there is a record of 150,000 cases of stroke each year.

There is no specific age group for stroke, but those that are 65 and older make up about 75% of the reported cases. In terms of gender, men have a higher chance of 25% to suffer from a stroke than women. However, in real life, women happen to suffer from the disease more than men because they live longer.

The following are the factors that increase a person’s risk of stroke:

  • Family history
  • Diabetes
  • Obesity
  • High blood pressure

Strokes are of two types: the first being the ischaemic stroke which is caused by a blockage that stops the supply of blood to some brain parts. The second is the haemorrhagic stroke which is caused by bleeding in or around the brain. However, the latter is less common and is only recorded in 15% of the cases. Its death rate is higher than that of ischaemic stroke.

Also, patients can suffer from a Transient Ischaemic Attack (TIA). This is an experience that is almost the same as a stroke but only lasts for a few minutes. The patient usually fully recovers within 24 hours. However, patients with this kind of experience will have a 20% chance of having a stroke within the first four weeks after the attack. If immediate medical attention is given, the patient will have an 80% chance of escaping the primary stroke.

Symptoms of stroke

Despite all that is said, you should know that the experiences differ between persons because the affected part of the brain may be different. However, some symptoms connect all of them. They are

  • Sudden weakness
  • Numbness or inability to use the face, arm or leg on one side of the body

Other symptoms include

  • Confusion and difficulty speaking or understanding speech
  • Trouble seeing with one or both eyes
  • Acute headache without any explanation
  • Lack of coordination
  • Dizziness or difficulty in walking
  • Fainting or unconsciousness.

These symptoms occur because the brain lacks oxygen and nutrients, which should have been supplied by the blood. This absence is the reason some brain tissues get damaged by stroke.

50% of the survivors of stroke have something to show for it; a disability which will make them dependent on completing their daily activities. However, once the patients receive adequate care and rehabilitation, they will be able to face their day with more confidence and independence.

Get stroke care and support from us

Next Level Homecare Services understand the stress involved in caring for a loved one with stroke. So, we have received adequate training that makes us qualified to lift your burdens by providing support to the patient and their families and help them cope. Our services are people-centric and do not go beyond the requirements of the individual. With this approach, our support assistants find it easy to provide the needed physical, emotional, and medical support for the patients though their stay out of the hospital. Moreover, you should know that staying in a familiar environment will enhance healing and the effect of rehabilitation on the patient.

Our support assistants are very well trained to administer the right support and care for stroke. Our services are only limited to your limits because we do not mind taking care of the meals, bath, toileting and other special needs of the patient. We provide our services with the discretion and allow the loved ones to have enough time to run their days and makeup with their other loved ones.

You can always expect companionship, encouragement and emotional support from our carers. They have been trained to know that speaking encouraging words to, having exclusive chats and building relationships with the patient is as important as feeding them and helping them do the basics. So, before we send any carer your way, we will ensure they have the skills and attitude that will enable them to bond with your patient.

We know that recovering from a stroke has a lot to do with relearning skills and adapting to the developed disability. Our carers have the can-do spirit and can influence anyone with it. Within a little or no time, your loved one will be committed to learning their new life because of the physical and psychological support our carers provide.

Our stroke aftercare services

We offer

  • Personalised care and support for individual patients
  • Visiting care that is frequently adjusted to suit the changing needs and physiotherapy regimes, and support complex medication
  • Short and longer regular visits, night care, full time live-in or respite carer
  • Experienced specialist support assistant that will give the family and patient the help to understand and adjust to the complexities of stroke
  • Diligent care team with more than 30 years of experience in patient care
  • Complete assessment before beginning any care
  • Specialised and always available support and expertise
  • Social and lifestyle enhancement activities for patients

It can be troubling to let a total stranger into your house to care for your beloved. It can also be a considerable challenge to make up your mind on who to choose for the task. If this sound like your experience, relax. We have a well experienced and professional team that will take the pains to put you through on stroke, the care services we offer and the kind you need.

 

Contact us on 01895 349959 to learn more from our willing and dedicated team members.

Scroll To Top